Mobile Phones nowadays have become so handy among people & the Design Innovations undergone by the phone companies are so pretty big. The back mobile case cover is mostly prone to failures as it is the most critical component for the real world applications. During the mid of 2015 year, some non standard tests were undergone on the back case products for failure mode analysis. Let's have a quick look on how SolidWorks Simulation offers the design principles in solving the real time problems.
A general Static analysis is performed to verify the failure zone on the case covers. Since these tests require some physical bending & hardened strength of material, the linearization of the problem is the upmost priority for verification.
To validate this product, firstly we need make some assumptions & simplification of the problem. The initial assumption made here is a person sitting on the back of the mobile phone weighing 70kgs. The model thickness (Shell thickness) was considered to be 1.5mm, which purely stiffens the geometry towards bending.
- Material : Aluminium - 6061 Alloy (From Material database). The material assigned to the product is manufactured of Aluminium material as in actual cases. The material database present in SolidWorks Simulation gives users with multiple options in material selection with customized library.
- Boundary condition : Side faces of the model are restrained with all the degrees of freedom (Selection on faces/ edges).
- Loads : Force = 70kgf (Normal to the back face reference). Depending on the complexity of the problem, we can apply loads as Force or Pressure as indicated.
- Mesh Parameters : Solid Mesh with curvature based mesh type was used. The element size of 1.2mm was used globally throughout the geometry.
SolidWorks Simulation gives beautiful color plots for the user for easy review of the results. For validating this mobile case product, we need to review the results like Stress, Displacement, F.O.S. & Fatigue Life cycle.
To be more precise on the results, SolidWorks Simulation offers to perform Non-Linear Static studies for time based loading conditions. The loads assigned for reference can be indicated with respect to Time curve, or if we use Rubber / Plastic materials in analysis, we can use the Stress-Strain curves for various models for validation.
- Shortest learning curve
- Ease of use in conducting virtual based simulations
- What-if scenarios on models, loads & material conditions
- Integrated platform where designers become analysts